Sunday, August 23, 2020

Best standing camputer setup

  


Best standing camputer setup by pen relivel



I’ve been using standing desks for wellover a year now. But do I think they are overrated? In my opinion some standing desk solutionsaren’t really worth it. The health benefits of standing is highlydebated and probably not that beneficial. And I strongly believe a good office chairis a better investment for your money. But considering all of that, I would stillbuy another standing desk if I had to make the decision all over again. Hi I’m David these are of thoughts and experienceswith Standing Desks I really enjoy switching from sitting to standingwhenever I’m feeling sore from sitting for too long. Even in the most expensive and fanciest ofchairs, I’ll still get a little antsy or fidgety.


 So switching between sitting and standinghelps alleviates that problem for me. Sure if you don’t have a standing desk,just stretching or taking a water break regularly is going to be good enough. But if I’m deep in some work, standing atmy desk lets me stretch my legs and pace around and still keep focused on my work. Even when I’m not working having a standingdesk at home makes it a lot more convenient to jump on and off the computer to changea song, google something or respond to some email that can sporadically occur throughoutthe day. But I’ll be honest, I still probably stillsit for about 80% of my day. Since sitting at my desk is just as importantas standing at my desk, I really don’t like permanent standing desks or any manual standingdesks that require a lot of effort or time to adjust. Sure you could use a high chair with a permanentstanding desk but getting good ergonomics out of a high chair can be quite challenging. Manual crank standing desks do allow you toswitch between sitting and standing and are usually quite a bit cheaper. But I personally found the process of cranking,slow and a burden that resulted in me being lazy and not bothering to switch as much. 


Tabletop risers are also an option, and areprobably the only solution for those stuck in cubicals where you can’t switch out toa new desk. But it’s definitely not my preferred optionas they are bit clunky, take up lot of desk real estate, and don’t really allow youto do anything else standing up other than use your keyboard and mouse. So I think for most people, if you want toget a standing desk you should probably save up for a fully electric motorized standingdesk. The good thing though is that budget electricstanding desks are pretty widely available these days. Though there are some key things that I’dlook out for before you go and just buy the cheapest thing available in the market. Like memory buttons. 


Definitely get a desk with a memory buttonif you can. One click to stand, One click to sit. Simple, no fuss. And completely worth it. 2 memory buttons is good enough for a singleuser but more is better especially if have multiple people using the same desk and needdifferent heights. Next, check height range for the desk. I guess I’m on the shorter side at 5’7,so the standing height has never really been a problem for me, but I find the minimum heights,usually around 27 inches, is often are too tall for me, so I end up needing to use afoot rest with a desk at this minimum height. But if I had to look for one again I’d tryto find one that can go a little lower to accommodate my shorter legs. 


Checking the stability of the desk is a littlemore challenging. I think at the highest height most electricdesks will have some sway to them if you try to shake them. But honestly I’ve never really have an issuewith stability while just typing or using a mouse on a computer. If you’re sensitive to shaking, much tallerthan I am, or just doing more vigorous tasks that require the desk to be super stable. You could look for a desk that has a crossbarunderneath but I tend to hit those with my knees or legs. Or you could find a four legged version ofa standing desk but those can get pretty pricey. So I think for most people you really won’tnotice issues with stability on anything half decent during regular use.


 Standing on your feet will be tiring especiallyif you’re not used to it. Even standing on carpet gets pretty tiringon the soles of my feet. Most people will recommend getting an anti-fatiguemat which is a good idea. But you will need to constantly move it inand out of place when switching from sitting to standing, which is pretty annoying forme, so I personally don’t use one. Instead I’ll just use some supportive sandalsor shoes when standing and while I could probably stand longer if I also had an anti-fatiguemat.


 I’m fine just sitting back down when myfeet and legs are feeling a little tired. Next let’s talk about noise. Using a standing desk at home for personaluse, noise for the motors really isn’t an issue for me unless someone happens to besleeping while I’m working. At the office on the otherhand, in open concept,and a sea of employees raising and lowering their desks throughout the day. I’ll probably feel a little different aboutthe noise. Maybe I would get used to it but I can imaginemyself going a bit crazy hearing a bunch of noisy desks moving up and down all day long. And finally the tabletop. 


A lot of companies will sell their motorizedlegs and tabletops separately. So if you find the tabletops ridiculouslyexpensive or just not in the color you want, buying the legs on their own and then grabbinga tabletop from IKEA is my preferred option. The IKEA Gerton is a really nice option: solidwood, good sized, and fairly affordable at only $90. Or IKEA Kitchen Countertops can also workreally well and are available in pretty much any color and design you would want. Considering all of this, for me at least thestanding desk wasn’t a fad that I eventually got bored with, and I still very much continueto switch between sitting and standing regularly. 


While I could go back to a regular sittingdesk, and I’d definitely recommend investing in a good chair first if you don’t alreadyhave one. If I had to make the decision today I’dstill definitely spend the extra cash to get another electric standing desk all over again. But hope you guys enjoyed this one. You know what to do. And I’ll see you in the next video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment