Sunday, August 23, 2020

Build a all camputer dex

 


All typ unlimited camputer dex building 

When I originally designed this room It's purpose was to run my computer business But since I haven't been doing that for years now I think it's time for a change So the first thing I wanted to do was design a new desk Thought about buying a new desk but I really just didn't like any of the designs that were out there Most of the desks I see are horribly inefficient in their design Take my desk at work, I literally do not use the back half of the desk So yeah, 

in the age of LCD monitors There's really no need for a desk to be any deeper than say, 24 inches maximum (60cm) And I can only sit in the center of the desk because of these darn drawers are in the way of my legs So I went to Google SketchUp and started playing with some ideas I like some of the cubicles we have at work They are a very efficient design So I drew up two cubicles

 Now, I share this room with my daughter, so one would be her desk and the other would be mine There was still one problem with this though So one of the things that I've wanted for awhile is to have a little of extra space on my desk Y'know, where I can set up a, occasionally one of my old antique computers without sacrificing space for my primary computer 

So I started working a totally different design One of the important features of the new desk was to make certain that my legs and feet are free to move around So once I was done with the design in SketchUp I decided to draw the design on the floor with masking tape I was able to confirm that the door would still open fine as well as what sort of movement I'd be able have with my chair I was also able to confirm that the largest computer that 

I own, an Apple IIe, would comfortably fit on one of the three diagonal areas I also decided to add some other interesting features For example, I could put triangular shaped shelves at each of the corners underneath the desk This would be an excellent place to a Mac Mini, or a battery backup, or any external hard drives without cluttering up the top of the desk

 So, I'm going to tell you right now I've decided on a very unconventional construction technique Now, I'm not a expert desk maker, but in a way that gives me an unique perspective because when I walk though a hardware store and I look at things, in my mind, rather than seeing "Well this is what this piece is designed to do", I can look at it from an outside of the box type of perspective, to say "What can this piece of hardware actually do?", 

what can it be made to do? And uh, so I've come up with a very different design, for designing furniture And uh, some people who probably make furniture gonna be watching this going like this... but I think, you'll see there's method to my madness and I have very specific goals And I have opted to not use some conventional techniques for building desks and I think you'll see why I decided to use these L shape brackets to hold the peices together, some them weren't entirely 90 degrees so 

I used the vice at work to bend them to a more precise angle So one of the benefits to the design I'm using with the brackets is, that the desk is easy to disassemble, I can literally take it apart, and I can move it somewhere. uhm, but the other thing is, is it's also very easy to repair, should a part break, it's pretty easy to take that part off and make a new one and put it back on. These shelves that once held hundreds of iBooks and Macbooks, will now have new purpose as well. I'm going to turn them into a museum. 


So I'm going to be putting on display all of my old computers and game systems and electronics and stuff from the 1970's and 1980's I think they'll be pretty neat Okay, so this will be a two part video, and this is just about the end of part one. Uhm, in part two I'm going to show you uh, more of the construction and show you more of the secrets and interesting little ideas I've come up with to make this the ultimate computer desk I'm also going to attempt to give you a breakdown of the costs of each type of material what not that went into making this As well as an estimate of the time So stick around for part two, I think you're going to find it pretty interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment